- 2 ½ teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 5 teaspoons)
- 2 whole chickens, each cut into 8 pieces and trimmed of excess fat
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 3 cups)
- 830ml (3 ½ cups) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 medium carrot, peeled and cut crosswise into thin ‘coins’
- 285g (1 ½ cups) dried apricots, halved
- 2 x 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 to 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves
Combine spices in small bowl and set aside.
Season both sides of chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed pot oven over medium-high heat until very hot. Brown chicken pieces skin side down in single layer until deep golden, about 5 minutes; using tongs, turn chicken pieces and brown on second side, about 4 minutes more, you will need to be patient and do this in batches.
Add onions to pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions softened, about 10 minutes Add teaspoons garlic and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Add spices and cook, stirring constantly, until darkened and very fragrant, 45 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in broth and honey, scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Add thighs and drumsticks, reduce heat to medium.
Add carrots, apricots, and breast pieces (with any accumulated juices) to pot, arranging breast pieces in single layer on top of carrots. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chicken breast is cooked through (either cut through one to check that all pink is gone, or use a thermometer).
Add chickpeas to pot; increase heat to medium-high and simmer until liquid has thickened slightly. You can make the whole dish up to this point the day before you serve it, in fact it tastes even better when reheated.
Just before serving, (reheat chicken if it has been made in advance) add coriander and lemon juice; stir to combine and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.