- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 265g (1½ cups) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 125ml (½ cup) sunflower oil
- 440g (3½ cups) almond meal (ground almonds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 400g carrots, peeled and grated
- 75g (1 cup) shredded coconut
- 70g (½ cup) roasted slivered almonds
- 80g (½ cup) currants
Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
Line the base of a lightly greased 24cm springform tin with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
Place the eggs, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and whisk for 15 minutes or until thick and tripled in volume.
Place the oil, almond meal, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, carrot, coconut, almonds and currants in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
Fold through the egg mixture and spoon into the tin.
Bake for 1 hour 20 minutes – 1 hour 25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out with a few crumbs attached.
Allow to cool completely in the tin before refrigerating for 2–3 hours or until firm. Run a small knife around the edge of the cake and remove from the tin.