- 2 kilo (4.4 pounds) boneless beef chuck-eye roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch piece
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (540g) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed cut into strips
- 50g (⅓ cup) sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bay leaf
Pat beef dry with paper towels and season well salt and pepper; set aside.
Heat oil in a large pot with a cover or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions, and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, covered, until onions are softened, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, uncover and cook for a further 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally until onions are golden. Stir in strips of red pepper, paprika, tomato paste, carrots, and bay leaf.
If using the dutch oven add the meat. If using a crockpot add the meat to the crockpot and top with onion mixture.
Cover and cook until meat is tender, 6 to 7 hours on high, or 7 to 8 hours on low. For the dutch oven, cook for 8-10 hours at 110℃ (225℉)
Turn off the slow cooker or pull out of the oven, let stew settle for 5 minutes, then skim fat from the surface with a large spoon. Discard bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper to taste.