Based on Ina Garten’s recipe of the same name, this is one of those great recipes that packs a huge amount of flavour and is both sugar free and gluten free. It can be made well ahead of time and will happily sit in the fridge for a day before being served.
- 1 kilo salmon fillet, skin off
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pre-heat top broiler of the oven.
Grease a baking tray. Cut the salmon fillets crosswise into 4-inch-wide slices. Rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cook the fillets under the grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until they are rare. Be sure they are still rare on the inside. Remove to a plate, wrap with plastic and chill in the refrigerator until cold and firm.
When the fillets are cold, remove any skin that hasn’t come off during grilling. Break the fillets into very large flakes and put them into a bowl, adding any juice that has collected at the bottom of the plate.
Add the celery, red onions, dill, capers, rice vinegar, olive oil salt, and pepper to taste. Mix well and serve cold or at room temperature.