Over the years cake has been my saviour, whenever I would get overwhelmed by the world around me, I took a beat and headed into the kitchen, the act of taking out my mixing bowl, following a recipe, and an hour later having a cake would center me.
This cake combines all my favorite things, a one-bowl method, dairy-free cake, vibrant with orange and blueberries, and made super tender with yogurt (I have used dairy-free yogurt, but feel free to use any yogurt you please as long as it is unsweetened).
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 190g (1 ½ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour (plus an additional tablespoon for the blueberries)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 200g (1 cup) sugar
- Zest of 1 small orange
- 180g (¾ cup) plain soya yogurt
- 120g (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 135g (1 cup) blueberries
For Orange icing:
- 125g (1 cup) icing (confectioners sugar)
- 1-4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F /180°C. Line a loaf tin with baking paper, or spray well with vegetable oil spray and dust with flour.
- Whisk flour (reserve the 1 additional tablespoon for later), baking powder, and kosher salt in a large bowl.
- Place the sugar in a large bowl and using your fingers rub the orange zest into the sugar, until the sugar is moistened. Add the yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract to the sugar; whisk to blend. Fold in dry ingredients just to blend, making sure that there are no streaks of flour leftover.
- In a small bowl toss the blueberries with the remaining tablespoon of flour, and then fold the floured blueberries into the cake batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until the top of the cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50–55 minutes. Let the cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack; let cool completely.
For orange Icing:
- Place 1 cup icing sugar in a medium bowl, adding fresh orange juice 1 tablespoon at a time, until you have a very thick glue-like consistency, pour over the cooled cake, use the back of a spoon to spread over the top of the cake.
DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature. Or freeze unglazed cake for up to a month, thaw completely before adding orange icing.