Adapted from smitten kitchen
- 440g (3 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 240ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
- 340g (1 cup) golden syrup or honey
- 300g (1 1/2 cups) granulated sugar
- 100g (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 240ml (1 cup) warm strong tea
- 120ml (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
- 60ml (1/4 cup) whisky
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly grease or line 2 loaf tin.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Make a well in the centre and add the oil, golden syrup (or honey), sugars, eggs, vanilla, tea, orange juice, and whisky.
Using a strong wire whisk, combine the ingredients well to make a thick batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom of the bowl.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pans and bake until the centre springs back when tested, about, 45 to 55 minutes. This is a liquidy batter and, depending on your oven, it may need extra time. Cake should spring back when gently pressed.
Cool completely before serving, or wrapping up tightly and freezing.