- Oil spray
- Powdered (confectioners/icing) sugar (for dusting the pan and the marshmallows)
- 21g (2 level tablespoons + 1 level teaspoon) unflavoured gelatine
- 420ml (1 ½ cups) water, divided in half
- 400g (2 cups) granulated sugar
- 340g (1 cup) corn syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
Prepare a large baking tin (about 9 x13 inches or something approximating that size, with at least 2 inches high sides and either a square or rectangle), spray the tin or baking dish with oil spray and then dust liberally with powdered sugar. Set aside.
In a stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, place the gelatine and ¾ cup of water in the bowl of the mixer and place the bowl ready to start whisking, and let it sit!