Makes 15-20 fritters
A great classic of Turkish cooking, courgette fritters can be found all over Istanbul both in shops and at home. Try them yourself! Easy to make and absolutely delicious.
- 700g (about 3 medium) courgettes (zucchinis) grated, on the large holes of a box grater
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 30g (1/4 cup) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 3 green onions (scallions), white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Place grated courgettes in a colander set in the sink and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let stand 10 minutes, place grated courgettes in a clean tea towel and wring dry. Scrape courgette out of the tea towel and into a large bowl and gently mix in egg, flour, green onion, dill, and cornstarch; season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add enough oil to cover the entire surface of the pan and heat until shimmering (a good way to test the heat is to sprinkle a drop of water if it splatters immediately it’s ready). Working in batches, drop heaping tablespoons of courgette mixture into the frying pan, cook until golden and crisp on all sides, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer fritters to a paper towel-lined plate; season with salt.
- Best served hot or room temperature on the day they are made.