Do you know that Pesach standard, the coconut macaroons in a canister? This recipe is nothing like that! It is delicious and moreish, and the secret is the ground almonds. Once you make your own, the canisters of coconut macaroons may be a thing of the past.
- 5 (6 medium) large egg whites
- 200g granulated sugar
- 60g ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 500g desiccated coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C, line the two baking trays with parchment/baking paper.
2. In a large bowl beat the egg whites until frothy, then start adding the sugar a tablespoon at a time (be patient, this is well worth the effort). Whisk until you have a shiny mass with peaks that hold their shape.
3. Using a spatula fold in the almonds, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, vanilla, and coconut.
4. Using slightly wet hands shape into 2-inch sized pyramids, place on the baking sheet.
5. Bake in the oven until just beginning to brown, about 25 minutes, store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.