- 375 g (3 cups) plain flour
- 350 g (1 ¾ cups) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 240 ml (1 cup) mild tasting olive oil
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) orange juice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1 cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
For crumble topping:
- 60 g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 35 g (1/3 cup) rolled oats
- 60 g (¼ cup) demerara sugar (raw sugar)
- 55 g (1/4 cup) solid coconut oil/butter/margarine
Pre heat oven to 180˚C (350˚C). Line a 9×13 inch (20×30 cm) baking tin with baking parchment and set aside.
Make the filling:
In a medium bowl, combine the peeled, and cubed apples with the cinnamon and sugar, coating the apples well, and set aside.
Make the crumb topping:
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oats and sugar, add the coconut oil (or butter, or margarine) and rub the fat into the dry ingredients, until you have pea sized crumbs, and set aside.
Make the cake:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, using a whisk mix well. Add the bowl the eggs, oil, orange juice and vanilla and mix well with a large wire whisk.
Once well combined, pour the batter into the prepared pan, even out the batter, pushing into the corners of the pan. Top the batter with the apple cinnamon sugar mixture spreading the apples evenly over the cake batter. Top the apples and batter with the crumb mixture, sprinkling evenly over the cake.
Bake the cake for 45-50 minutes, tasting with a knife to make sure that the cake is cooked inside.